Saturday, December 26

It is not Christmas yet

We have to wait this year. Gene says "we don't have custody this year".
This year was the in-laws turn for Christmas day for our married children.
Soon our family will be together to share gifts, laughter, food and hugs.
But we must wait.
It is almost like a "free day", the 25th, Christmas Day.
An extra day for cleaning and wrapping.
And that is exactly what happened.
Throw in some cooking and baking too.
But I must not take the credit.
Fortunately, but unfortunately, our daughter Candace & son-in-law Corey had to postpone their trip to see his family for a week due to his mom being sick. I say fortunately because I benefited GREATLY.  Unfortunate that Carol has bronchitis.
I welcomed their eagerness to come over and spend time with us....
What I did not know was they had a plan.
The plan was ~ CLEAN UP!! WRAP!! COOK!!
I was hustled from room to room and back again all afternoon.
They wrapped just about everything as I presented the items to them.
Watching the scene I wondered what happened to "we don't want a lot of "stuff" comments" I had heard the months preceding Christmas.
Maybe it is just due to the number of people I bought gifts for.
OOPS, I just remembered I still have 2 gifts to wrap on my own before I can go to bed, and it is late.
But then there are the stockings.
Having taken a lesson in stocking stuffing from my mother-in-law, (who, sadly, has passed) it is an art in itself.... searching all year for interesting things to place in those fabric hanging things, with some items too big to fit inside and having to be placed upon the fireplace mantle.
Decorating was minimal this year.
Way too many trips away from home to spend the needed time preparing this year.
Next year, I always say........ I'm going to be ready Thanksgiving weekend, so I can enjoy the holiday more. Invite friends over.
Have a hot chocolate party.
Meanwhile, I wait for THIS day after Christmas gathering.  

No comments:

Post a Comment